Monday, January 23, 2017

Alchemy broadside


Here is a scan of the broadside I did for the Alchemy suite; part of a collective project of local (mostly Kalamazoo) writers and artists. Elizabeth Kerlikowske wrote the poem and I was trying to capture the sense of humor within it with this illustration. It's an edition of 40, an etching with letterpress text. I set the text last summer at the Allegan County Fair as a demo and printed it a few weeks ago at the Kalamazoo Book Arts Center. The element abbreviations on the roulette wheel are placed so that their atomic numbers match the traditional roulette wheel number placement. The exception is gold, (Au)  placed in the traditional 00 winner's spot. I'm not a gambler so I had to do some research on roulette wheels. All the Alchemy broadsides will be signed by the poets and printmakers and we'll be having a number of exhibits over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment